Re: problem with xetex access to system fonts

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:28:58 +0800, 张启德(Zhang Qide) wrote:

> 2012/3/19 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

>> Where is that font installed?
>>
>> Run "fc-list" and check if it is available/visible for the system.

Ugh... no need to attach the full list for the font's path, the size of
this e-mail is 85 KiB which can be too much for some users with slow
connections ;-)

>> Anyway, this may also help:
>>
>> [tlbuild] How should xetex find texlive fonts?
>> http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2009q2/000872.html
>
> Thank you for your reply! I add some lines to ~/.fonts.conf, see below:
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'> <fontconfig>
>     <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype</dir>
>     <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> and try again, it works well.

Glad it worked.

> Though I don't know what is the right way and why aptitude not do this
> job for me. Thanks again!

(...)

Well, I think the problem was basically that you needed to instruct your
system where to find additional fonts because by default, fonts are
usually installed (and thus, seeked) under:

/usr/share/fonts
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
/usr/local/share/fonts
~/.fonts

If the fonts are placed anywhere outside those directories/files, you
have to make manual adjustments so the system can find and use them,
neither aptitude nor apt nor other package manager tool can do that for
you ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón