Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 04:52:47 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:45:35PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Right! As its name says. :) Consider the command "rm" in the same
>> > vein.
>>
>> Sure. I neither let "rm" to do things blindly :-)
>
> The *default action* for rm is "to do things blindly", *unless* you set
> the alias to "rm -i".

That's why you should be very careful when issuing that command when
you're root... and the same goes for anything that requires root
priviledges, such as removing packages.

> Are you suggesting ppa-purge should ask: "Are you sure you want to ...?"
> by default?

Nope, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just exposing the reasons why I
don't like to automate packaging related tasks and why I'm not going to
use a tool like that. I take my system's health very seriously.

> Consider:
> http://use.perl.org/~schwern/journal/38188

Yep, I prefer to "mv" things or use Midnight Commander for day to day
tasks to avoid "fat finger" errors.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón