Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:46:59PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> For instance, by default ppa-purge (or a similar script) is instructed to
> remove non official versions of the packages in favor of the ones
> available in Debian repositories.

Right! As its name says. :) Consider the command "rm" in the same vein.

> Fine, but reverting ffmpeg from D-M to
> the official version it can be undesiderable or even break based on the
> current pining and priorities (it can leave your system with mixed
> libraries from differenet sources).

More precisely, *having D-M* in your sources list can be undesirable¹; it
can leave your system with mixed libraries from different sources.

An interesting read starts here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/03/threads.html#00151

¹Particularly:

	"... we have a policy to just close a bug with a very short
	explanation if we notice that the crash involves a package from
	debian-multimedia.org; everything else is absolutely not worth
	the trouble. Cf. also [1]."

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte