Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:03:14 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:31:11 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu has a "ppa-purge" script that not just removes Launchpad PPAs
>>> from sources.list, but also automatically reverts any packages
>>> installed from that PPA to the versions available in the official
>>> archives.
>>
>> The only idea scares me :-}
>
> Why?

Package managing can be sometimes difficult to deal for an automated
routine and more that often needs human interaction.

For instance, by default ppa-purge (or a similar script) is instructed to
remove non official versions of the packages in favor of the ones
available in Debian repositories. Fine, but reverting ffmpeg from D-M to
the official version it can be undesiderable or even break based on the
current pining and priorities (it can leave your system with mixed
libraries from differenet sources).

I, personally, don't like playing much with this (packaging and
libraries). In the event I have to, I prefer to see and manually cherry
pick what to keep or what to upgrade/downgrade case by case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón