Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:20:06 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:46:59PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> For instance, by default ppa-purge (or a similar script) is instructed
>> to remove non official versions of the packages in favor of the ones
>> available in Debian repositories.
>
> Right! As its name says. :) Consider the command "rm" in the same vein.

Sure. I neither let "rm" to do things blindly :-)

>> Fine, but reverting ffmpeg from D-M to the official version it can be
>> undesiderable or even break based on the current pining and priorities
>> (it can leave your system with mixed libraries from differenet
>> sources).
>
> More precisely, *having D-M* in your sources list can be undesirable¹;

Yes, I know, but sometimes is the most suitable option rather than having
to compile the packages by yourself. You have to value the pros and cons
of having packages installed from elsewhere not just D-M...

> it can leave your system with mixed libraries from different sources.

Yes. That's why I prefer to have external repos always turned off and
make them accessible only when I need a specific package from them.

> An interesting read starts here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/03/threads.html#00151

(...)

All that is know and it can happen not just with D-M but when using non-
official repositories as sources.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón