Re: ntp package. Client by default?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:42:12 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:07:39PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> For instance, I wouldn't see any objection in splitting the package in
>> the same way sshd is (there is a "client" and a "server" part) and set
>> the desired configuration (as server or client) for each of them.
>
> I would. The answer to people wanting different configurations is not
> always to provide different packages. There's a lot of overhead in doing
> so and it's rarely worth the cost IMHO.  Rather the majority case be
> provided for by default, and the exceptional case by tweaking
> /etc/default/FOO.

(...)

I was thinking in alternatives that make all happy.

Okay, now you tell... how about a variable at "/etc/default/ntp" for
getting different behaviour (i.e., configuration settings) for ntpd in
just "one click"? Something like:

NTPD_ROLE="server"
NTPD_ROLE="client"
NTPD_ROLE="default" (as the default profile)

The "server" string will set relaxed restrictions parameters, "client"
enforces a most secure policy allowing ntpd daemon to contact external
servers but rejects anything from either local and remote hosts and
finally, "default" to keep the current state.

That way users will able to easily change between these pre-made profiles
and still make customized changes by manually editing the "/etc/ntp.conf"
file directly should they need fine adjustments.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón