Re: ntp package. Client by default?

On 06/03/12 15:34, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:20:05 +0100, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

I think /usr/share/doc/ntp/README.Debian.gz is bad worded. Correct me if
im wrong but it says "[...]The default ntp.conf file is set up for an
NTP "client" that [...]" "[...]Extra configuration work will be
necessary to offer time service to other hosts. [...]"

By default, it works as a server not just as a client.

How is that? I mean, how did you reach that conclusion?

Also I think by default it should not act as a server as is
superseeding ntpdate, and the most regular use case is to install ntp
is to keep in sync the time of your local computer.

Am i missing something?

Mmm... I don't see how the default setup allows another computers -other
than the localhost- to connect and sync against the ntpd daemon :-?

Greetings,

Well, the port opened in all my interfaces was not a very good sign. But then I tried to set my computer as the only server of 2 other boxes on my network. It worked flawesly :)

greets!
aL