Debian in a VMware VM and LVM

Hi,

I have been using Linux for several years but now I have another learning moment. ;-) I have read several LVM howto sites but still run into things I do not understand.
Can someone please answer the 4 embedded questions and tell me what I(?) did wrong.

Using the 6.0.4 amd netinst CD I created a small 10GB virtual machine (VM). I then realized I needed it to be a bit bigger so I wanted to extend the LVM environment and add that space to the /var logical volume.
Of course as this is a new VM I just could have started from scratch but I am trying to learn something as well. ;-)

First I had a look at the current disk layout using fdisk -l

root@wwwgw:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d6e97

/dev/sda1               1          37      291840   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              37        1306    10190849    5  Extended
/dev/sda5              37        1306    10190848   8e  Linux LVM

1)
Why the warning about the 300MB /boot partition not ending on a cylinder boundary? I used the manual setup in the Debian 6.0.4 installation and told it to create a 300MB partition at the beginning of the disk. Did the installation software do something wrong or should I have know something I do not know yet?

2)
After that came a lot of warnings about /dev/dm-0, /dev/dm-1, /dev/dm-2, /dev/dm-3 and /dev/dm-4. I know those are LVM2 devices but...
Why is fdisk (still) seeing them as disks/partitions it has to show during a listing, and then complain they are not valid?

At the VMware level I increased the disk from 10GB to 12GB. Using cfdisk, which in my opinion gives less cause for a user error, I created a new logical sda6 partition in the free space. The end result is:
root@wwwgw:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 12.9 GB, 12884901888 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1566 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d6e97

/dev/sda1               1          37      291840   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              37        1566    12285008    5  Extended
/dev/sda5              37        1306    10190848   8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda6            1306        1566     2094127+  8e  Linux

3)
Why is there a + at the end of the number of blocks?

I then want to make the sda6 partition a LVM physical volume using
root@wwwgw:~# pvcreate /dev/sda6
  Device /dev/sda6 not found (or ignored by filtering).
root@wwwgw:~#
indeed, there is no /dev/sda6 yet.

4)
Why is /dev/sda6 not there yet? What step am I missing?

Ok, after a reboot (it is not a production server yet) the /dev/sda6 is there.
Form here on it was (almost) straight sailing. ;-)

root@wwwgw:~# pvcreate /dev/sda6
  Physical volume "/dev/sda6" successfully created
root@wwwgw:~# vgextend vgroup1 /dev/sda6
  Volume group "vgroup1" successfully extended

Then to runlevel 1 to make sure (almost) nothing is using the /var directory tree
and
root@wwwgw:~# lvextend -l+2G /dev/vgroup1/lvvar
  Extending logical volume lvvar to 3.86GiB
  Logical volume lvvar successfully resized

root@wwwgw:~# umount /var
Then first a filesystem check as that seems to be needed before resizing. Not doing so will give me a warning although this was not mentioned in the HOWTOs I have read.
root@wwwgw:~# fsck -f /dev/vgroup1/lvvar
root@wwwgw:~# resize2fs /dev/vgroup1/lvvar
root@wwwgw:~# mount /var

and back to runlevel 2