Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 05:16:52 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> In my limited experience of "purge-ppa", it's worked very well.
>>
>> My guess is that is highly dependant on user's configuration: the
>> lesser repositories available + basic pinning rules = the higher
>> chances for getting successful results.
>
> That applies to non-Debian repositories but not to PPAs that's probably
> why Ubunical created "apt-add-repository" with which you can add any
> repository including PPAs and VirtualBox to "/etc/apt/sources.d/" along
> with its corresponding gpg key but limited itself to "ppa-purge" rather
> than increasing the complexity of its removal script with
> "apt-purge-repository" (which is what the OP wants to do).

I don't know how Ubuntu works in this regard (I mean, what are the inners
of their PPA infrastructure) but speaking for Debian and I don't like the
idea of letting a script to remove/downgrade packages/libraries and make
"its best guesses" on how to proceed.

Although on systems running the stable branch can be less traumatic
because dependencies there are more contained, I'm still very hesitant of
using such a tool unless it's to be run on a system for testing purposes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón