Re: OT Apache Open Office

Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> I've found the converse to be true, particularly with templated
> documents. At one point I found that I could open templated documents
> with LO but in order to print them I had to save then in native OOo
> format and reload them in AOO. Fortunately that state of affairs lasted
> only a few weeks.

Having had a number of complaints (most via private email) that I've
written garbage, I feel obliged to rephrase my statement.

  "I've found the converse to be true, particularly with MS Office Word
  documents containing (templated) text fields. At one point I found that
  I could open such Word documents with LO (AOO wouldn't recognise any
  of the field content) but in order to print them via CUPS I either
  had to save then in ODF format and reload them in AOO, or export as
  PDF and print that from outside LO. Fortunately that state of affairs
  lasted only a few weeks.

Whether or not people still think this is garbage is largely irrelevant,
because the fact is that it happened to me for a number of weeks. I'm
happy to accept that it might have been the configuration on my specific
system; without a reference I was unable to confirm this and felt it
inappropriate to file a speculative bug report. I also no longer have
reference to the specific versions of LO and AOO I was using at the time.

Chris