Re: OT Apache Open Office

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 06:36:52PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> > Someone will have to step up and put the work in to package AOO, for the
> > choice to exist "in Debian".
>
> The Apache OO folks do provide .deb files with desktop integration. In my tests
> these work well enough on a Debian stable system, though it would be nice to get
> the benefits that the Debian LO devs have provided in that packages.

I think even getting it built sanely will be an immense tasks. At the beginning
of when LO split afair shortly after in OO configure options needed for sane distro
packaging broke.
Let alone I don't think they have build updates for new library or tool versions.
LibreOffice got them.
OpenOffice.org in the most times got them because distros gave that back - and as
almost all distros major now switched to LibreOffice...

(NB: didn't follow that closely)

And you need to replay all packaging updates adapting for OpenOffice.org changes
which have been in the LibreOffice packaging but are in common (as LibreOffice 3.3
was based on OpenOffice.org 3.3 and 3.4+ is based on 3.4 beta).

And last but not least you have the technical problem that you would
need to violate Debian policy do to so (fonts-opensymbol, python-uno.
Policy mandates those names.)

I think it'd be a simple waste of time without being able to reach the goal.

Regards,

Rene