Re: big problem with TP-LINK WiFi card

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:37:27 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:33:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:

>>> If I were to upgrade kernels, which kernel would you recommend ?
>>>

>> I would try with the backports one, as it's easier to install. If that
>> also fails, I would compile the latest stable kernel from sources
>> available at kernel's site (now 3.2.9).
>>

> The only one that I could find on my Squeeze backports is
> 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
>
> #apt-get install -s linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
(...)
> some packages cannot be installed. This may mean that you have requested
> something impossible... etc...
> The following information could help you :
>
> The following packages have non satisfied dependances:
>     linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae : depends : linux-base (>=3~) but
> 2.6.32-41 will have to be installed
>     Recommends : firmware-linux-free (>=3~) but 2.6.32.41 will have to
> be installed
> E: Defectuous packages

I wonder if you have properly configured your "sources.list" and
priorities to handle backports. Instructions can be found here:

http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/

Also, better use synaptic, it's easier to see what's needed and what's
missing. Anyway, if you are unsure about how "backports" work, I would
try first to play with it inside a testing system, such a virtual
machine, to avoid breaking things within your current system.

> Kernel 2.6.32-41, which I supposedly should install... is the one that
> is already running on that system !!

Sure, maybe due to your repository priorities.

> I guess that I will have to do a new kernel compiling from sources and
> headers and installation from scratch.

That's another option.

> But is it safe to try installing a 3.2 vintage on my system ?

What's a "vintage" system? You mean your hardware is old?

> Will it take up a lot more RAM ?

Compiling? Yes, and also cpu. Compiling is an intesinve task and can take
up to hours to complete, depending on your kernel config options and your
hardware :-)

> The only other 2.6 kernel that I could find is 2.6.33-20 (also to be
> installed from scratch). Do you think that it might be safer to test
> that one first ?

I'd go for the 3.x branch.

> Is this kernel likely to have taken into account the bug that concerns
> my PCI wireless card ?

Can't confirm on this, this is "test & try".

Well, you can also try with a LiveCD of any distribution that has an
updated kernel, you can load the LiveCD and test your wifi from there,
leaving your current installation untouched.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón