Re: using bittorrent for backup of personal files

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 02:04:46AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 mar 12, 18:56:19, Rob Owens wrote:
> > >
> > I'm a bit of a novice, so my terminology may be off.  But by "public" I
> > mean a torrent that I upload to any public tracker, like
> > thepiratebay or something.  Anyone could download my torrent, not that they
> > would know to look for it.
>
> You don't need a public tracker, you can either set up your own tracker
> or just use DHT.

For those following along, I've had some success testing on my LAN.

Set up a tracker on machine1:

bttrack --port 6969 --dfile dstate --logfile bttrack.log

Create a torrent and reference the above tracker.  I did it both with
transmission-gtk and the following command line:

btmakemetafile http://machine1:6969/announce somefile
or
btmakemetafile http://machine1:6969/announce somedirectory

Seed the torrent with one machine, and download the torrent on another
machine.  I also had success downloading the torrent from the same user
account that was seeding it, but using a different bittorrent client
(and saving to a different directory).

Some of the torrents take a long time to start downloading (like an hour
or more).  Some of them start right away.  One torrent ran overnight and
never started downloading.  Then I paused and resumed it, and it started
right up.  Any ideas why this might happen?

-Rob