Re: using bittorrent for backup of personal files

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:24:10PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 06 mar 12, 19:18:49, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I'm considering using bittorrent to back up large files such as pictures
> > and home movies.  I am the admin for several of my family members'
> > computers.  The idea would be to back up my files onto their machines,
> > then eventually back their stuff up in the same manner, resulting in
> > several off-site backups for each of us.
>
> From what I know of the BitTorrent protocol it is beneficial only if the
> data needs to be transfered to more than 1 site, where the remote
> site(s) are not sharing the same internet connection, otherwise it
> doesn't bring any benefit over ftp/rsync/etc. It's not obvious from your
> message if this is the case.

I intend to transfer to more than 1 site.  Both for the purposes of
backup, and for sharing the files with my family members in several
different households.

> > I want to keep this data private.  What are my options, besides a VPN?
> > I hesitate to use a public torrent even on encrypted data, because the
> > computers of tomorrow may easily crack today's encryption using brute
> > force.
>
> I'm not sure what you consider to be a "public" torrent, but in my very
> un-informed opinion, encrypted torrents should be quite secure already,
> just don't use a public tracker or distribute the DHT key. Yes, there is
> a bit of security-by-obscurity here, but I wouldn't worry about it
> unless it was really sensitive data.

I'm a bit of a novice, so my terminology may be off.  But by "public" I
mean a torrent that I upload to any public tracker, like
thepiratebay or something.  Anyone could download my torrent, not that they
would know to look for it.

> > My data is sorted in directories by year.  If I make torrents for each
> > year, most of the data will be static.  But how should I handle the
> > current year's data?  Can I update the torrent file without forcing a
> > re-download of all the current year's data?
>
> Not sure, but even if you create a new torrent each time you add more
> data, all clients I have tried so far will not re-download, but they
> will re-check the hash on all existing data.

I'll have to experiment with that.  I haven't ever created my own
torrent, but I guess I could figure this one out by creating a small
torrent with dummy data, and then modifying it.

-Rob