Re: using bittorrent for backup of personal files

On Ma, 06 mar 12, 19:18:49, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm considering using bittorrent to back up large files such as pictures
> and home movies.  I am the admin for several of my family members'
> computers.  The idea would be to back up my files onto their machines,
> then eventually back their stuff up in the same manner, resulting in
> several off-site backups for each of us.

From what I know of the BitTorrent protocol it is beneficial only if the
data needs to be transfered to more than 1 site, where the remote
site(s) are not sharing the same internet connection, otherwise it
doesn't bring any benefit over ftp/rsync/etc. It's not obvious from your
message if this is the case.

> I want to keep this data private.  What are my options, besides a VPN?
> I hesitate to use a public torrent even on encrypted data, because the
> computers of tomorrow may easily crack today's encryption using brute
> force.

I'm not sure what you consider to be a "public" torrent, but in my very
un-informed opinion, encrypted torrents should be quite secure already,
just don't use a public tracker or distribute the DHT key. Yes, there is
a bit of security-by-obscurity here, but I wouldn't worry about it
unless it was really sensitive data.

> My data is sorted in directories by year.  If I make torrents for each
> year, most of the data will be static.  But how should I handle the
> current year's data?  Can I update the torrent file without forcing a
> re-download of all the current year's data?

Not sure, but even if you create a new torrent each time you add more
data, all clients I have tried so far will not re-download, but they
will re-check the hash on all existing data.

Kind regards,
Andrei