Re: KVM problem

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:12:11 +0100
"tv.debian@googlemail.com" <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'll leave you there with your judgment call, but Blender is considered
> a bit more than "gruff" in the 3D modeling and video community, Yum is
> Fedora package manager, the developers will be delighted to know they
> are writing "stupid buggy python scripts".

 YMMV, but I would not bring yum as a fine example of python program.
yum's memory footprint makes it nearly unusable on low-end VPS'es, and
implementation language is not the last reason of that. Yum's speed at resolving
package dependencies is abysmal comparing to apt, too (whenever python is to
blame here, or not). IIRC modern Fedoras are unable even to install given less
than 512M memory, and yes, you have to thank yum for that.
Yum has some redeeming qualities, and the first of it that it is much better
than up2date. Which is, in turn, implemented in C, and (surprise) originally
developed by RedHat. yum, on the other hand, was adopted by RedHat from
YellowDog Linux distribution.

 A good example of python-based package manager, IMO, is Gentoo's emerge.
Surprisingly, it wasn't hit that hard during theirs python2 -> python3
transition.

 That thing pkg they ship with Solaris 11 is also written in python, and mostly
does whatever one needs from package manager.

 Back on topic, personally I use virsh to manage qemu-kvm. I've used
virt-manager last time about two years ago. Quit using it when virt-manager's
interface was reworked once more, and started to look like they developed it
for people with heavily impaired vision. Those days, the most meaningful way to
do something with libvirt, was virsh dumpxml -> edit -> virsh define.
 Mine's today way of interacting with libvirt is basically the same.

 As an alternative to libvirt, one can always use this:
http://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2012/managing-kvm/