Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Jo, 08 mar 12, 16:51:18, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> ... I just wondered that it looks like the driver doesn't work anymore,
> since the WLAN adapter also is lost after reinstalling nm.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Command_Line
> By running 'iwlist scan' I don't get the expected output anymore.
> # my wifi device
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>         wireless-essid [ESSID]
>         wireless-mode [MODE]

But you don't want to connect to "a wireless network" (actually an Acess
Point), you want to be the AP. From memory, you need:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.XX.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

Everything else is configured in hostapd.conf. At a minimum you need to
instruct hostapd which interface to use, what security mode (wpa2 with
AES is recommended) and which passphrase to require from clients. It
will then take care to configure your interface for Master mode.

It is a bit more complicated if you also need a bridge (do you?).

For dnsmasq at a minimum you need to enable one of the dhcp definitions
in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

For shorewall I advise you copy the default configuration files from
/usr/share/doc/shorewall/default-config/ to /etc/shorewall/ and then
adjust according to the two-interfaces example in the docs.

Hope this helps,
Andrei