Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 11:40 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 07 mar 12, 19:41:43, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> >         Installed the following packages:
> >         bridge-utils (1.5-2ubuntu1.1)
> >         dnsmasq (2.57-1ubuntu1)
> >         dnsmasq-utils (2.57-1ubuntu1)
> >         hostapd (1:0.7.3-2build1)
> >         libnl1 (1.1-6ubuntu1)
> >         openresolv (3.4.0-1)
> >         shorewall (4.4.21-1)
> >
> > the LED of the WLAN USB adapter doesn't flash anymore, IOW the adapter
> > isn't detected anymore.
>
> These packages require manual configuration,

I understand this ...

>  it's not enough to install
> them.

... I just wondered that it looks like the driver doesn't work anymore,
since the WLAN adapter also is lost after reinstalling nm.

> The respective configuration files are heavily
> commented/documented and I could assist (from memory) if you come up
> with specific questions.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Command_Line

By running 'iwlist scan' I don't get the expected output anymore.

I already started editing yesterday. Hm? Ok, I'll ignore what I deemed
as broken and will go on with this [1], after installing the packages
again.

Thank you Andrei,
Ralf

[1]
[root@archlinux spinymouse]# ls /mnt/oz/etc/network/interface*
/mnt/oz/etc/network/interfaces                       /mnt/oz/etc/network/interfaces.V-0.1
/mnt/oz/etc/network/interfaces.ORIGINAL-2012-Mar-07
[root@archlinux spinymouse]# cat /mnt/oz/etc/network/interfaces.V-0.1

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

# my wifi device