Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 19:14 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 mar 12, 16:51:18, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > ... I just wondered that it looks like the driver doesn't work anymore,
> > since the WLAN adapter also is lost after reinstalling nm.
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Command_Line
> > By running 'iwlist scan' I don't get the expected output anymore.
> > # my wifi device
> > auto wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> >         wireless-essid [ESSID]
> >         wireless-mode [MODE]
>
> But you don't want to connect to "a wireless network" (actually an Acess
> Point), you want to be the AP. From memory, you need:
>
> allow-hotplug wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet static
>     address 192.168.XX.1
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> Everything else is configured in hostapd.conf. At a minimum you need to
> instruct hostapd which interface to use, what security mode (wpa2 with
> AES is recommended) and which passphrase to require from clients. It
> will then take care to configure your interface for Master mode.
>
> It is a bit more complicated if you also need a bridge (do you?).
>
> For dnsmasq at a minimum you need to enable one of the dhcp definitions
> in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
>
> For shorewall I advise you copy the default configuration files from
> /usr/share/doc/shorewall/default-config/ to /etc/shorewall/ and then
> adjust according to the two-interfaces example in the docs.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Thank you Andrei,

I don't know what I need. I will be able to browse the web and to send
and receive emails, to sync the iPad and to use the WiFi-MIDI-thingy for
Linux and the iPad.

When the connection failed using nm, somebody mentioned it could be the
fault of the iPad 2 and indeed it's known as not working good using
Wifi.

If possible, I'll try to fix the network issue today. From yesterday
until now I had to fight odd Apple idiocy. I couldn't solve this Apple
issue, but anyway will delay solving this and continue getting the
network connection established.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: :D