Re: Network connection lost - Debian Lenny kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 00:07:23 +0100, benoit lair wrote:

> 2012/3/7 benoit lair <kurushi7000@gmail.com>:

>>> And what was the output/results?

>> No response in all cases.

Mmm, okay. Neither for the loopback interface?

ping -c 3 127.0.0.1

>>> So you can't resolve domain names.

>> I wasn't behind my server when it loss connection. No way to contact
>> him from my office, so went fast to my datacenter to regain access (ok
>> no remote control pdu on this machine and not virtualised (1 of 3 old
>> school survivors on my network), so hard access to this hardware when
>> problem) So when arrived in my box, face to my server, wired my kvm
>> screen and so no way to get any network from my server.

Understood.

>>> Which pings fails, remote or local (or both)?

>> So both

That sounds serious.

(...)

>>> Nothing? Is the module loaded? "lsmod | grep bnx2"

>> Now i looked onto my incidents tickets, already got this problem 10
>> months ago. But it was unsolved by my collegues. grrh, now it's too
>> late to get response less than waiting horribly for a potential new bug

What was the incident about?

>> Keeping the logs away from log rotate, will have to read and prepare
>> cups of cofee for this week end

:-)

> Yep! An idea!
>
> I didn't take a look onto my ossec logs, perhaps will i find something.
>
> Thanks for the tip of modprobe Camaleon.
>
> I'll be back, when i got news.

Okay, we'll wait for your findings.

Having the networking service up, running and configured but no response
to pings (neither from local nor remote hosts) it sounds to me like some
sort of problem with either the hardware facilities (cables, switches,
ethernet card) or at the software side, the kernel module for the adapter.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón