Re: Network connection lost - Debian Lenny kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64

2012/3/7 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 23:33:00 +0100, benoit lair wrote:
>
>> I didn't specify it, but i've tried:
>>
>> ping onto an external host
>> ping onto the gateway  of this server
>
> And what was the output/results?
No response in all cases.

>> The messages into mail.info says there's a problem with MX resolution
>> because of the network loss.
>
> So you can't resolve domain names.
I wasn't behind my server when it loss connection.
No way to contact him from my office, so went fast to my datacenter to
regain access (ok no remote control pdu on this machine and not
virtualised (1 of 3 old school survivors on my network), so hard
access to this hardware when problem)
So when arrived in my box, face to my server, wired my kvm screen and
so no way to get any network from my server.

>> Also, when i tried to ping an IP, i got no response, so it doesn't seem
>> there's a problem around dns system.
>
> Which pings fails, remote or local (or both)?
So both

> Sample of remote ping can be "ping -c 3 8.8.8.8"
> Sample of local ping can be "ping -c 3 192.168.0.1"
>
>> 2012/3/6 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
>
> (...)
>
>>> Also, depending on the above results, as you were sitting in fornt of
>>> the server, reloading the network kernel module could have been
>>> something worth to try.
>>
>> You mean to unload the network module via modprobe ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> It's quite surprising, seen nothing on the logs.
>
> Nothing? Is the module loaded? "lsmod | grep bnx2"
Now i looked onto my incidents tickets, already got this problem 10 months ago.
But it was unsolved by my collegues. grrh, now it's too late to get
response less than waiting horribly for a potential new bug ...

Keeping the logs away from log rotate, will have to read and prepare
cups of cofee for this week end

Greetings.