Re: How to report a bug related to multiple packages (insserv, autofs, backuppc)

On Mi, 07 mar 12, 13:30:12, Sylvain wrote:
> 2012/3/7 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> > Anyway, I would have expected some kind of warning at the logs coming
> > from backuppc indicating a problem for accessing to the configured mount
> > point which was not available at that time and thus failing.
>
> Me too, and I didn't understand why I wasn't getting anything in the
> logs until now: the default LogDir (/var/lib/backuppc/log/) is in a
> subdirectory of the TopDir (/var/lib/backuppc/), which means that if
> the TopDir doesn't exist, backuppc won't be able to log the error in
> LogDir. So in order to check the logs to find out what the problem is
> you first have to solve the problem. :-)

[Note: I know nothing about backuppc]

If having /var/lib/backuppc on media that may or may not be available
during startup is common, then I guess this is a bug in backuppc
(documentation, configuration, behaviour, etc.).

On the other hand /var and subdirs are usually local[1], in which case
you just shot yourself in the foot (which Linux and associated software
traditionally does allow).

[1] in this context I don't consider removable media that may or may not
be connected to be local

Kind regards,
Andrei