Re: How to report a bug related to multiple packages (insserv, autofs, backuppc)

2012/3/6 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> AFAICT, a bug should be filed against backuppc to change its init
> script to have "$remote_fs" (or "$all"!) in "Required-Start" or
> "autofs" in "Should-Start".

autofs doesn't seem to be included in $remote_fs, and autofs doen't
have anything to do with backuppc so I don't think it should be
included in backuppc's init script.

2012/3/6 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:35:21 +0100, Sylvain wrote:
>
>> I installed backuppc the other day, configured it and it works fine
>> except for one thing: it doesn't start at boot. I looked in the backuppc
>> logs and in the syslog and saw nothing suspicious. If I start it
>> manually with /etc/init.d/backuppc start, it works just fine. There are
>> also startup scripts in /etc/rc*.d/. My backuppc version is 3.2.1-2 (I'm
>> running a testing install).
>
> Well, there are some packages that in addition to be installed have to be
> configured to be run on booting. I mean, the fact a service is not
> started by default cannot be considered a bug or error "per se".

Sure, but you usually have either configuration files to edit, or a
note in the readme file stating that you'll need some additional steps
to make the package work if you're using some special configuration.
Also the resolution of the problem was not straightforward; in fact I
was writing to the list to get a solution to my problem when the
solution came to my mind.

>> Note that my /var/lib/backuppc directory points to
>> /removable/sbackup/backuppc which is my external USB HDD mounted by
>> autofs, which is in /etc/rc*.d/S21autofs (backuppc is
>> /etc/rc*.d/S21backuppc). After some investigation I found that adding
>> autofs in the Required-Start section of the insserv overrides of the
>> backuppc init script solved the problem.
>
> So backuppc daemon is starting but fails because it cannot access to the
> configured external USB hard disk? You can check the service status with
> "service backuppc status".

Yes, the /removable/sbackup/backuppc directory is empty since autofs
has not started yet and thus has not created the directory yet.

>> Now I'm not sure how to report
>> the bug. Should I report it against autofs (so that autofs gets included
>> into $local_fs or in the mountall.sh script but these scripts have
>> nothing to do with autofs), or in insserv (again so that autofs gets
>> included into $local_fs, but insserv doesn't have anything to do with
>> autofs) or in backuppc so that the init script is modified (but again,
>> backuppc has nothing to do with autofs)?
>
> Mmm, I would open a bug against the package it self (that is, backuppc)
> to get some feedback from the package maintainers about this situation.
>
> In principle (though I don't know BackupPC requirements in deep), it
> should not require "autofs" by default (nor smb, nfs...) because there
> can be people/installations not having that service even installed.

Sure. Maybe the best solution is a note in the readme file for autofs
users. I'll file a bugreport against backuppc.

Thanks for the hints,
Sylvain