Re: Re: Font intensity on desktop

El 2012-03-06 a las 15:10 -0800, Gary Roach escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 12:42:47 -0800, Gary Roach wrote:
>>

>>> I have two systems running Debian Squeeze and have essentially the same
>>> setup. I am running an ATI Radeon HD 5450 on my main system which has
>>> good readable print on both the desktop icons and on the bottom panel.
>>> My other system (older) is running an ATI Radeon RV250 and has lousy
>>> readability for everything on the desktop. I have gone through the
>>> system setup and made sure that both systems are identical. I'm running
>>> 1280x1024 at 60Hz refresh rate on both systems. I use the KDE desktop.
>>> The newer system is running an Intel board with an i5-750 4 processor
>>> CPU. The older system is running an Pentium III (Coppermine). Strangely
>>> enough the print on the  monitor (Bash) is good on both systems but the
>>> window surround is nearly unreadable on the old system.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how this problem can be corrected will be sincerely
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>> Can you upload a snapshot for both displays so we can compare?
>>
>> My guess is that you may have configured a different font hinting or
>> rendering for each computer. Font appearance can be fine tweaked from
>> "System Settings → Appearance → Fonts (antialiasing advanced options)".

> Hi
>
> Attached are the screen shots that you requested.

Thanks, but better if you can upload the images to an external service
(e.g., www.picpaste.com) so everybody on the list can also see them and share
their thoughts, not just me ;-)

> I assure you that I have gone through the setup menus with a fine
> toothed comb to make sure that both systems are exactly the same setup.
> I also played around with the anti aliasing with no effect. Could this
> be a defect in my graphics card?
>
> Gary R

After viewing the images, I don't think there is something bad in your
VGA nor is broken. Look at the calendar at the right bottom corner,
white colour there for text is almost at the same intensity in both
computers. The only noticeable difference seems to be at desktop text
icons. Check that you are using the same font face and size in both
machines and also, you can try to load a LiveCD of another
distribution, just to compare, maybe the problem is on the VGA driver
(radeon, right?) version.

Another thing to try could be using a different display connector (DVI or
VGA) and also attach a different cable but to me seems more a sofwtare
issue than hardware.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón