Re: booting in squeeze not automatic

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:29:11 +0100, Filipe Freire wrote:

> Dear All

Hi. Please, no html formatted messages :-)

> I recently installed debian squeeze on a new 64-bit pc.
>
> All seemed fine except that booting was not processing automatically.

Can you expand this? When you turn on the PC, what are you getting?

> Always had to manually select the device from the BIOS - probably a bug.

Not "probably" but "sure" because that's not a normal behaviour :-)

Are you sure you have the correct settings for booting in the BIOS?
What's your motherboard brand and model?

> I have a single partition.  After checking the partition with fdisk
> verified that that the boot flag was off.  I turned it on with action
> 'a' but afterwards I can not get the system to boot.

Linux does not usually make use of the bootable flag unless you have a
dual-boot or multi-system into a single hard drive.

> I have done this before but this time only made things worse,   It
> still does not boot automatically and on top of that it holds on GRUB.

Ah. Wait, wait... Then your computer is booting fine but it stops at the
GRUB menu. That's a completely different thing.

> Suggestion on how to proceed are very welcome.  Anyone had a similar
> problem?

Can you boot into your system from a LiveCD (using the "boot installed
system" option) or using "SuperGrubDisk"? If so, I would first try to re-
install the bootloader again once you're in.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón