Re: Persisting a one-off hostname change

On 28 February 2012 13:40, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everywhere that I've worked the hostnames have had something to
> indicate its purpose and its location.

I don't think this reasoning can be applied here though. There will be
dozens of identical devices plugged into the network, and hundreds in
total (but not all plugged in at the same time). They can't all have
the same name, and the IP address is useless as an identifier since
the physical location could change daily until it goes out the door.

> The "mv /etc/rc.local.final /etc/rc.local" would be the last line in
> the first-boot's "/etc/rc.local" so that your "/dev/random" hostname
> stuff only runs once. I've just tried it and it was OK.

Oh, right, that makes sense now.

— Jason