Re: Persisting a one-off hostname change

On 27 February 2012 20:50, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aren't your users going to hate the random names?

They won't be end users, but production staff. (I can certainly see
how you'd be sceptical of doing this for some poor end user...) There
will be multiple devices being built in a workshop, and they'll need
to be plugged into the network for tests and the like. Test results or
session logs can be retrieved via Samba or SFTP after they've
completed. Doing it this way means that production staff can quickly
log in over a serial line, write down the hostname *once*, and then
find the device later on the network. They can move it around, not
worrying about needing to write down the IP address each time the box
moves. And having a common prefix makes it easier to hone in Windows
Explorer, on a network that has all sorts of stuff connected to it.

The clients themselves have other plans for the embedded computer, and
will most likely erase our stuff as soon as they receive it.

(Perhaps I should have gone into all of this before, but you know how
it is when you're working on the same thing for weeks... you think
it's everyone must know what the bigger picture is.)

> Will they know to use "<hostname>.local" for ssh/sftp?

They will if it's written in the commissioning procedure ;)

— Jason