Re: text browsers

On 27/02/12 21:11, Weaver wrote:
> Hello one and all.
>
> I'm seting up a gui-less system and was wondering about text browsers -
> what's good?
> Anything to avoid, that is behind in development, not being maintained or
> is obviously behind the others in some respect or other.
>
> I don't want to start a flame war.....seriously.
>
> re there any that are head and shoulders above the rest, more intuitive,
> stable, etc,?
>
> Thanking you for any time and trouble.
> Regards,
>
> Weaver.

If you want graphics - without x, try links2 - (patched[*1] or
hacked)[*2], or arachne[*3].
If it's just pure text, as opposed to a browser for a non-gui machine,
lynx is the best (IMHO).

[*3]I haven't used arachne in over a decade - but it was *very* good,
and I just noticed there is a Linux port. It doesn't support javascipt
or java (bonus?).

[*1]http://links.twibright.com/
[*2]http://xray.sai.msu.ru/~karpov/links-hacked/
[*3]http://www.glennmcc.org/aralinux/

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks