Re: New computer planned

Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> writes:
>>> I like PCLinuxOS, which is a rolling release, and is always up to
>>> date, if you just remember to update it once a week or so.
> >
>> sounds like debian/testing :-)
>> With debian/stesing there is a benefit: You can stop updating once
>> "testing" is declared "stable".
>
> At the point where it is declared "stable" then nothing will be
> updated until six months?  I'd rather have my system updated every
> week, if you don't mind.  --doug

"testing" is always "rolling," but somewhat slowly and carefully.
"unstable" is always "rolling," much more quickly.
"unstable+experimental" is always "rolling," on the razor's edge.

_Or_ you can target a specific release name, in which case you'll get a
"rolling" release as long as that release is in testing, transitioning
to a static release when that release becomes stable.

Debian is very, very, flexible...

-miles

--
Opportunity, n. A favorable occasion for grasping a disappointment.