Re: lost

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:44:35AM +1100, pastor alexander wrote:
> i bought the multi dvd set of debian 32 bit and 64 bit
> and after a week of them cocking up i put them in the bin.
> i wanted an archive to put on my hard drive so i could assemble
> different distros including straight debian without
> downloading the same files 100 times.
> the disks were hostile and badly presented.
> next i downloaded the weekly multiarch weekly 3.7 gig
> not even a bloody desktop, you must be joking.
> keeps asking for other dvds i dont have.
> I have never come across a distro with more promise or power than debian.
> mint failed to satisfy, as did mepis, both good mind you.
> I have been remastering distros for my clients for years from
> pclinuxos without a problem.
> the live debian squeeze disk works like a charm. but i want the
> multiarch with trimmings.
> i spent at least a week in your wiki, its simply too big.
> get me started please.
> this is the only distro i have a problem with. this is the only
> community i have not got a sensible response from so far.
> i propose to
> 	start with multiarch
> 	add bootcd for easy remastering
> 	add liquorix as a menu option during boot for my games and multimedia
> i already have a similar system setup under pclinuxos and it is very
> popular. and easy to do.
> maybe i am not good enough for this distro but i have been a
> contract programmer for years and would like to assist this
> community if i can get up to speed. am willing to submit my distro
> as a resume if desired.
> regards Pastor Alexander

I've never used a multiarch dvd, so I can't really help you there.  But
let me tell you what works for me:

I download the netinst CD for whatever architecture I need.  It is small
(something like 160 MB).  During the installation, it will download from
the internet whatever files you need that aren't on that CD.

Once your first installation is complete, set up that machine as a proxy
for apt (the tool which handles the download and installation of debian
packages).  I use apt-cacher-ng and it works well.

Now during subsequent installations, you can tell the installer to use
this as your apt proxy:

http://ip_or_name_of_first_installation:3142

Your subsequent installations will download files from the proxy machine,
and if the proxy machine doesn't have them it will download them and
save them for future use.

This method makes very efficient use of internet bandwidth, and gets
your installations done pretty fast (with no changing of CDs/DVDs).

Good luck!  Post back if you have trouble.

-Rob