Re: Convert mp3 enbulk

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:35:20PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> > It would have to be one of these (but I haven't tested it)
> >
> > ffmpeg -i somesong.mp3 -acodec vorbis somesong.ogg
>
> Hmm...  On my Lenny machine (please don't ask) it is that one.  And it
> is very small and very corrupted.
>
>   -rw-rw-r-- 1 1.9M 2012-02-20 21:35 01_-_An_Awful_Lot_Of_Running.ogg
>
> The result doesn't play.  And ogginfo isn't happy with it either.  But
> I am running it on my Lenny laptop at the moment.  It might be better
> in Squeeze.  Checking...
>
> Squeeze ffmpeg doesn't like -acodec vorbis and for there it is your
> second case.

I just tested it myself.  I'm using ffmpeg from debian-multimedia.
'-acodec vorbis' gave me a warning about it being experimental, and that
I should use libvorbis instead.  (This is a squeeze system, by the way).

> > or
> > ffmpeg -i somesong.mp3 -acodec libvorbis somesong.ogg
>
> On Squeeze that produces the following:
>
>   -rw-rw-r-- 1 1.8M Feb 20 22:01 01_-_An_Awful_Lot_Of_Running.ogg
>
> Which is also very small but seems to be happier.  It doesn't make
> ogginfo unhappy like the other version did.  And if anyone is at my
> house they are going to be wondering why it is playing through the
> stereo right now even though I am not there.  Seems good.  Thanks!

This command was successful on my system as well, although it produced a
very low bitrate ogg file.  You can add one of these switches to the
ffmpeg command to correct this:

-aq 5		#set the quality level to 5
-ab 192k	#set the audio bitrate to 192k

> > I decided a few years ago that I'd use flac for my entire music
> > collection, and if needed, convert to another format for reasons of
> > portability, etc.  This way I only get one lossy transcode.
>
> I still have all of my original media.  I would simply rip it again if
> and when the time came to convert to a new format.

In my case I do most of my home listening from the flac files, and keep
the CDs stored under my bed.  I don't have much use for the CDs since
I've got computers near every stereo in my house, and I have a portable
player that I use in my car.

By the way, I've gotta say that I'm pretty happy with my Sansa Clip+.
It was cheap and is Linux friendly.  It is seen as a removable drive.
It works well with Rhythmbox and I can use Rhythmbox to create playlists
on the Clip+.  Even firmware upgrades are Linux friendly.  Just download
the firmware file, place it in the root directory of the player, and
it'll be updated next time you turn on the player.  No dumb Windows
utilities required!

-Rob