Re (5): Display on IBM ThinkPad A22m

From:	Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Date:	Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:29:05 +0200
> Same problem, it's using some default values for the vertical refresh
> and the horizontal sync ranges, which don't match your hardware. I would
> suggest you put the correct ones in a file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier      "Panel"
>     HorizSync       xx-yy
>     VertRefresh     xx-yy
>     DisplaySize     xx yy # optional, the size in mm
> EndSection

Bravo!  HorizSync is enough.  I made a fresh xorg.conf with Xorg -configure
and with the following additional lines get this display.
  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ThinkPadDisplay2.jpg

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	HorizSync    72-80
	DisplaySize  305 229
EndSection

The HorizSync range is based upon the calculation mentioned in the Wikipedia.
HorizSync = RefreshRate x VerticalResolution x 1.05.  I had assumed
VerticalResolution = 1400, the largest value in the IBM specs.  Successful
operation at 1400x1050 is more than I expected.

DisplaySize can be measured accurately with a ruler.  It might improve
the aspect ratio slightly and is unlikely to be harmful.

What command will give all extant monitor parameters during operation?
xset reports on keyboard, mouse, colors and fonts but not the monitor.

Given that X configuration is meant to be automatic, this story should warrant
a bug report.

Thanks for the help,               ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "