Re: Re (5): Display on IBM ThinkPad A22m

On Vi, 17 feb 12, 17:08:15, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Date:	Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:29:05 +0200
> > Same problem, it's using some default values for the vertical refresh
> > and the horizontal sync ranges, which don't match your hardware. I would
> > suggest you put the correct ones in a file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> >     Identifier      "Panel"
> >     HorizSync       xx-yy
> >     VertRefresh     xx-yy
> >     DisplaySize     xx yy # optional, the size in mm
> > EndSection
>
> Bravo!  HorizSync is enough.  I made a fresh xorg.conf with Xorg -configure

There was no need for this, just the above snippet would have been
enough (but OTOH I am obsessed with NOT hardcoding configs).

> What command will give all extant monitor parameters during operation?
> xset reports on keyboard, mouse, colors and fonts but not the monitor.
>
> Given that X configuration is meant to be automatic, this story should warrant
> a bug report.

It seems to me the flat panel does not support EDID (at least there is
no mention about it in the log) or maybe the driver doesn't support it.

Could you maybe try a Knoppix CD and see if it detects your monitor
properly? If it does, comparing logs should provide more information.

Kind regards,
Andrei