Re: using a bluetooth headset

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:16:58 +0100 (CET)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Celejar wrote:
>
> > IIUC, that snippet just sets up a profile that alsa applications can
> > use; they still need to be told individually to actually use this
> > profile. For example, using 'aplay', you'd do something like "aplay -D
> > bluetooth sound.wav". Each alsa app will have its own configuration
> > area where you set which alsa device you want it to use.
>
>    Sorry, but if I may invent a new acronym, I think, according all the
>    test I've done, that YDUC...
>    I have 4 devices, for which I have 4 different alsa config files:
>
>       .asoundrc.asoundconf.live (internal SoundBlaster)
>       .asoundrc.asoundconf.z305 (usb speaker)
>       .asoundrc.asoundconf.z515 (wireless speaker)
>       .asoundrc.headset
>
>       If I do
>          ln -fs .asoundrc.asoundconf.live .asoundrc.asoundconf
>       the sound is sent to my SB-live card, from any program but mplayer,
>       without specifying any device for them (aplay, vlc, totem, xine,
>       skype)
>       If I do
>          ln -fs .asoundrc.asoundconf.z515 .asoundrc.asoundconf
>       the sound is sent to my wireless speaker, with all these programs.
>       and idem for the z305.
>       But,if I do
>          ln -fs .asoundrc.asoundconf.headset .asoundrc.asoundconf
>       the sound is only sent to my bluetooth headset from skype.
>       For the other programs, it goes to the SB-live card.
>       (NB: I had to disable pulseaudio to make it work from skype)
>
>       Can anybody explain that?

Okay, perhaps IDUC ;) But I think that my understanding is actually
probably correct, just that there's something wrong with the bluetooth
subsystem. I've spent far too much time myself trying to get a
bluetooth headset working under linux, and it was incredibly
frustrating. The documentation is (was? it's been a while) horrible,
inconsistent, ridiculously sparse and outdated.

So I'm guessing that the system works the way we understand it, just
that something's wrong with the bluetooth part. Perhaps the other
applications are failing to connect to the bluetooth device and are
therefore defaulting to the SB?

>       As for pulseaudio, I always get "connection refused", for example
>       with pavucontrol.

I've never used Pulse.

Celejar