Re: using a bluetooth headset

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:17:22 +0100 (CET)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi
> I'm  trying to use a bluetooth headset, and curiously, it works only
> for Skype(at least for the speaker, not for the microphone),
> and not for any other program.
> According what I found in a forum. I put in .asoundrc.asoundconf
>
>     pcm.bluetooth {
>         type plug
>         slave {
>             pcm "bluetooth_hw"
>         }
>     }
>
>     pcm.bluetooth_hw {
>           type bluetooth
>           device 00:0C:55:57:AC:23
>           profile "auto"
>     }
>
> but alsa still sends the sound to my PC speakers.
> I checked that Alsa actually uses this .asoundrc.asoundconf file, as it works
> for my other sound device (a wireless speaker)
>
> How come that Skype is the only program which sees all my sound devices?

IIUC, that snippet just sets up a profile that alsa applications can
use; they still need to be told individually to actually use this
profile. For example, using 'aplay', you'd do something like "aplay -D
bluetooth sound.wav". Each alsa app will have its own configuration
area where you set which alsa device you want it to use.

Celejar