Re: Squeeze on HP Proliant D580

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:26:48 +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 12/02/12 10:17, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> What's the exact message you get and in what stage of the install
>> booting process it appears? You can go to a debug tty to get more
>> information¹.
>>
>> OTOH, I would use a 64-bits OS for this machine :-)
>>
>> ¹http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-
miscellaneous

> The problem is that the installation doesn't even start. The machine
> tries the boot order (CD, floppy, SCSI) & then reports back read errors
> on the installation media (CD).

(...)

Weird.

It could be indeed that your CD-R drive can't read the media (damaged
optical unit or damaged media?). To discard this you can try to burn
another CD using a different CD-R brand and also at low speed. You can
also try with another CD media from a news magazine just to ensure you
can boot from your CD drive, so no need to finish the installation
process.

It can also be some sort of BIOS/system limitation that prevents you
booting from your CD, HP systems have many hidden configuration settings.

As per the workarounds, I suppose your system can't boot directly from an
USB key but maybe you can boot from a floppy disk and load the CD or USB
installation media from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón