Re: Squeeze on HP Proliant D580

On 12/02/12 10:17, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:09:32 +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> I've just taken shipment of a HP Proliant D580 G2 (Quad Core
>> 2.7GHz, 8 GB RAM, 146GB RAID).
>>
>> I intend to use Squeeze as the main OS & have downloaded the
>> specific distro for this model with the firmware patch rolled
>> in.
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with this particular machine or
>> can supply any links? I've got the guides from the HP site
>> concerning the Controller setup & the ROM-Based Setup Utility
>> User Guide but at the moment all I'm getting from trying to boot
>> from the installation CD is read error comments. I've tried
>> several distro CDs (Debian 6 i386, Fedora 12/14, Ubuntu 10.04)
>> but they're all telling me the same thing.
>
> (...)
>
> I've had no direct experience with this server but it is not so
> usual seeing the installation stopped at the same point with
> several distributions.
>
> What's the exact message you get and in what stage of the install
> booting process it appears? You can go to a debug tty to get more
> information¹.
>
> OTOH, I would use a 64-bits OS for this machine :-)
>
> ¹http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-miscellaneous

Hi,

Camaleón.

The problem is that the installation doesn't even start. The machine
tries the boot order (CD, floppy, SCSI) & then reports back read
errors on the installation media (CD).

It's possible that there is something wrong with my CD/DVD burner but
earlier yesterday I burned a Ubuntu 11 CD with the same drive & it
worked fine on my wife's laptop install.

According to the Debian wiki on the subject, Lenny installs OK without
the need for the broadcom driver firmware so I'll try a 64-bit version
of Lenny today & see what happens. If the same errors occur, I'll buy
a 64-bit Lenny from a vendor to rule out any problems with my CD burner.

Thanks for your help,

   Phil...