Re: Squeeze on HP Proliant D580

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:09:32 +0000, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> I've just taken shipment of a HP Proliant D580 G2 (Quad Core 2.7GHz, 8
> GB RAM, 146GB RAID).
>
> I intend to use Squeeze as the main OS & have downloaded the specific
> distro for this model with the firmware patch rolled in.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this particular machine or can
> supply any links? I've got the guides from the HP site concerning the
> Controller setup & the ROM-Based Setup Utility User Guide but at the
> moment all I'm getting from trying to boot from the installation CD is
> read error comments. I've tried several distro CDs (Debian 6 i386,
> Fedora 12/14, Ubuntu 10.04) but they're all telling me the same thing.

(...)

I've had no direct experience with this server but it is not so usual
seeing the installation stopped at the same point with several
distributions.

What's the exact message you get and in what stage of the install booting
process it appears? You can go to a debug tty to get more information¹.

OTOH, I would use a 64-bits OS for this machine :-)

¹http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-miscellaneous

Greetings,

--
Camaleón