Re: [OT] Re: GNU/Debian Linux vs. facebook, Twitter and other proprietary social media

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
Nick Lidakis wrote:
Are there other tool I can use to avoid using facebook? I did find out about and someone else mentioned about Diaspora. It's considered decentralized social networking. But can I use some other software to let people know about specials, events, etc., without using things like facebook. There's gotta be some kinda Android or Apple app that lets foodies stay updated with their favorite foodie shops. Maybe an RSS app for foodies.
Jeez, man.  You're trying to build a business.  It's about figuring out where your audience is.  If they're on FaceBook, market on FaceBook.  If they're on Twitter, market there.  If there's on some Android or iPhone app, market there TOO.  It's not about the software or the service, it's about where your market is.

^ This.  If you're not using Facebook and Twitter, you can publish whatever you want, and none of your customers will see it.  I've been following this thread for days and I can't believe the responses you're getting.  While I'm sure your intent is noble, avoiding Facebook and Twitter to promote your business is beyond foolish.

Think of it this way.  Your shop is in Manhattan, KS.  Would you pay for a billboard in Timbuktu, Mali, Africa to advertise it?

--
Chris