Re: Installing debian, dual boot on 1 TB disk?

On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 04:00:27 PM Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> I think that GParted cannot do it.

> Arief M Utama <arief.utama@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I notice you have four partitions. Are they all primary partitions?

> >If

> >> so, this is your problem.

> >Yess... you (and Mika) are right!

> >Thanks guys,

> >Been a while since I've met this problem.

> >Now I have another problem, how to move all this partition (and turn

> >some of them into extended partitions) without destroying them. Guess

> >I'll need to rediscover dd.

> >Anyone knows a better tool? Could GParted be used for this?

> >Thanks a bunch for the quick help :-)

> >All the best.

> >-arief

> >> The DOS-style partition layout can handle up to four primary

> >partitions

> >> or up to three primary partitions plus one Extended partition. An

> >> Extended partition may contain any number of logical partitions.

> >> If you look at /dev/sda? from within linux and you get /dev/sda1-4,

> >then

> >> these are all primary partitions. If you have /dev/sda5 or above,

> >then

> >> you have an extended partition and so shouldn't have a problem with

> >> this.

> >> If all your partitions ARE primary, you may have a problem. AFAIK,

> >> Windows likes to boot from primary partitions. The recovery

> >partitions

> >> MAY or MAY NOT handle being moved to logical partitions.

> Mika Suomalainen

> > gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 03D41B0D C0151D5C

> > gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8751C396

Hi,

It is my understanding that the windows installation requires the entire 1TB disk.

Even though windows itself only requires some 60 -70 GB of space. All primary partitions are used to set up this distro.

I have a similar problem with my laptop. I have not been able to make windows sit in smaller partitions. (yet!!!)

Gerald