Re: Not getting mails in inbox

On 31/01/12 00:44, Chen Wei wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:40:23PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> NOTE: it is very, very rare for your posts to the list not to be
>> published.
>>
>> You can set up a separate free webmail account and use it as the
>> replyto address in emails to the list from your gmail account, then
>> set up forwarding from that account to your gmail account.
>>
>> You can set up your own email server, or purchase an email service
>> somewhere. I don't know if other free webmail services display
>> list posting either - perhaps other users can advise.

> gmail is still the most popular free mail service,

I use it myself - I'm not sure what 'your' point is....
When you post to the list you, along with the other subscribers, are
sent a copy. So the "problem" (and I'm not convinced there is one) is
with gmail, not Debian. And there's nothing Debian can do about your
choice of MUA or smtp provider.
I note that many (*cough*BP,PE*cough*) will recommend you *don't* use
gmail (I simply recommend you use a fine MUA like Icedove, Mutt,
Evolution, Kmail etc with the mail server of your choice).

You can try lobbying Google, but if you understand the distributed
nature of the their system you'll appreciate their desire to avoid the
additional costs involved in allowing your (common) request.
Don't expect gmail to change that policy of not forwarding email to your
Inbox that have identical subject lines and body contents to emails
you've sent.

> followed by gmx. gmx works well with mailing list, it also support
> SMTP & IMAP.

Noted I'll add documentation for gmx to the wiki on the weekend (time
permitting).

> statistic from 18K debian-user messages: Among 1514 users posted to
> the list gmail.com                 535 35.3% | yahoo.com
> 23  1.5% | debian.org                 21  1.4% | gmx.de
> 20  1.3% | mail.ru                    18  1.2% | hotmail.com
> 17  1.1% | googlemail.com             17  1.1% | web.de
> 11  0.7% | verizon.net                10  0.7% | free.fr
> 10  0.7% | yahoo.fr                    8  0.5% | gmx.net
> 7  0.5% | onlineprintsystems.com      6  0.4% | comcast.net
> 6  0.4% | yahoo.it                    5  0.3% | lavabit.com
> 5  0.3% | iki.fi                      5  0.3% | att.net
> 5  0.3% | pobox.com                   4  0.3% | gmx.com
> 4  0.3% |

Interesting.

I'm not sure what those "statistics" mean. Are they all webmailers?
Do they only represent mail sent from the webmail interface?
What are the majority of posters using (the missing numbers), and what
is the new/email split?
Do those figures allow for gateways (ie. google groups, new generation,
gmane, and others)?

Thanks for taking the time to post in plain text.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/