Re: Not getting mails in inbox

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:37:00AM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > gmail is still the most popular free mail service,
> I use it myself - I'm not sure what 'your' point is....
sorry, I mean most popular choice in this list.

> I note that many (*cough*BP,PE*cough*) will recommend you *don't* use
> gmail (I simply recommend you use a fine MUA like Icedove, Mutt,
> Evolution, Kmail etc with the mail server of your choice).
I like gmail, but 'skip inbox' is hardly a mailing list friendly feature
when not using the web interface. Once I sent several copies of the same
message to the list in 2 days, not aware this unique gmail feature. And
verify the send status from list archive might be difficult because the
archive is blocked in certain part of this planet.

> Noted I'll add documentation for gmx to the wiki on the weekend (time
> permitting).
It might be helpful to add the gmail feature to the wiki as well, if its
not there.

> > statistic from 18K debian-user messages: Among 1514 users posted to
> > the list gmail.com                 535 35.3% | yahoo.com 23  1.5% |
> > debian.org                 21  1.4% | gmx.de 20  1.3% | mail.ru 18
> > 1.2% | hotmail.com
>
> I'm not sure what those "statistics" mean. Are they all webmailers?
> Do they only represent mail sent from the webmail interface?  What are
> the majority of posters using (the missing numbers), and what is the
> new/email split?  Do those figures allow for gateways (ie. google
> groups, new generation, gmane, and others)?
they are parsed from the maildir files I received in past few months.
The statistics represents all users who had sent mail to the list,
regardless their MUAs. The invisible majority posters probably use work
or ISP mail address but I am not sure.

News/Mail preference of total 18145 messages:
email                   14646 80.7% |
Gmane                    3327 18.3% |
Misc-NNTP                 118  0.7% |
Google Group               31  0.2% |