Re: lcdproc missing driver imonlcd in squeeze

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:03:24 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 30/01/12 20:48, Ramon Hofer wrote:

>>> <snipped>

>>> # apt-get install lcdproc
>>> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/lcdproc pool/main/l/lcdproc/
>>>
>>> Did I miss something there?
>>
>> Sorry wrong button :-o
>>
>> The drivers that are included in lcdproc are:
>>
>> # The following drivers are supported: #   bayrad, CFontz, CFontz633,
>> CFontzPacket, curses, CwLnx, ea65, #   EyeboxOne, g15, glcdlib, glk,
>> hd44780, icp_a106, imon, IOWarrior, #   irman, joy, lb216, lcdm001,
>> lcterm, lirc, MD8800, ms6931, mtc_s16209x, #   MtxOrb, NoritakeVFD,
>> picolcd, pyramid, sed1330, sed1520, serialPOS, #   serialVFD, sli,
>> stv5730, svga, t6963, text, tyan, ula200, xosd
>>

>> But I need imonlcd and not imon.
>
> Are you sure?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Imon (specifically "lcdproc 0.5.3 appears to
> include the imonlcd patch set.")

I'm not an expert but in the /etc/LCDd.conf the imonlcd wasn't mentioned.
When I set the driver to imon with the the ServerScreen set to yes
nothing was displayed.

I found this page so I supposed there are still two different drivers:
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/stable-0-5-x-user.html#imonlcd-howto

> That could mean that imon in Wheezy's lcdproc is the same as imonlcd.
> It's not listed in Wheezy lcdproc-extra-drivers.
>
> You could try the Sid package eg:-
> add testing to your sources list
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get -st unstable install lcdproc | less
>
> And just see what's going to happen (it may not require backporting -
> you don't say which kernel version you're running)

I'm using Squeeze with the backports kernel linux-image-amd64 which was
updated today to 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64.

That's a great idea!
I've never thought of using a package from testing. Until some days ago I
wasn't even brave enough to use backports :-)

> If looks ok just proceed.
>
> Don't forget to remove testing from /etc/apt/sources.list afterwards and
> then apt-get update.

With the package from testing the imonlcd driver is available :-D
I've already tested it and it works. Thanks alot for your help!

If I understand the idea behind backports correct wouldn't it be useful
to have this package in there too?

>> I found help on how to compile it with the needed driver. Just ./
>> configure --driver=imonlcd or something like that. I'd have to search
>> again.
>> As well in the Ubuntu 10.04 repos lcdproc came with imonlcd support.
>
> See my comments above about the last two upstream releases of lcdproc.
> The best place for the source is the source - I've put the ref below,
> you can build that as a debian package. I'd check dependencies first.

I'm glad that it works so I think there's no need to compile anything?

>> So my question is if or how can I install the driver without having to
>> compile after each kernel upgrade?
>> Probably it would be best to have it in the squeeze backports?
>
> Upstream:-
> http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/

Thanks again!
Ramon