Re: debian losing usb detection after guest OS sees a USB device in virtualbox

On 28/01/12 10:46 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 29/01/12 14:29, H.S. wrote:
>>>>
> <snipped>
>

>>> NOTE: TomTom with the latest updates requires the use of the EHCI driver
>>> in VirtualBox, which in turns requires IOMMU support.
>>
>> Is that switched on by using a kernel argument in grub.conf?
>
> Should just work if your motherboard supports it.

> Before starting that VB machine, go into Settings => USB, and add the
> filter for TomTom (not a generic filter). Then start the VB machine.

I am not getting anything in the USB devices list to add to the filters.

>>> Try launching that VM machine from the cli and noting the output.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Well, don't get anything at all form virtual box, but strangely, now
>> even Tomtom is not doing anything to the guest OS.
>
> Try replugging TomTom (before setting the USB filter in VB. See comment
> above).
>>
>> On the host OS (Debian), however, it gives the following network device
>> based activity in syslog when connected to a USB port (it looks like it
>> is seen as a network interface and dhcp client tries to run on it):
>>
> <snipped - that sort of thing is why I don't use Network Manager or Avahi>

Fair enough. So I tried to remove network manager and got hit by this:

$> sudo aptitude purge network-manager network-manager-openvpn
network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc  knm-runtime
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  knm-runtime{p} network-manager{p} network-manager-openvpn{p}
network-manager-pptp{p} network-manager-vpnc{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 6,512 kB will be freed.
  network-manager-gnome: Depends: network-manager (>= 0.9.2) but it is
not going to be installed.

     Remove the following packages:
1)     gnome
2)     gnome-accessibility
3)     gnome-core
4)     gnome-desktop-environment
5)     network-manager-gnome

I am not sure I can go ahead with this, don't want to lose the whole
gnome stuff!

ever having been read.