debian losing usb detection after guest OS sees a USB device in virtualbox

I am running Virtualbox 4.1.8-75467~Debian~squeeze on my Debian Testing
machine. I have Windows 7 (32 bit) installed as a guest OS. When I
connect my Tomtom Via 1535 gps unit to a USB port while the guest OS is
running, the unit gets listed as a USB device in virtualbox and I can
click on it to select. However, after that it just disappears (can't use
or see it anywhere), and along with it goes all USB detection of Debian
too. Reconnecting the unit or any other USB device appears to have no
affect on the OS, I get nothing in /var/log/syslog.

Short of restarting the computer, what can I do find out what is going
wrong and restart the relevant programs? I tried /etc/init.d/udev but
that did not help.

This is on:
$ uname -a
Linux red 3.1.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 10 05:01:58 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks.

ever having been read.