Re: debian losing usb detection after guest OS sees a USB device in virtualbox

On 28/01/12 08:53 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I haven't had any issues with USB on Windoof 7 - but I'm not running
> TomTom. My fstab is a little different:-
>
> $ grep -e usb /etc/fstab
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=110,devmode=664,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>
> NOTE: that it's not commented out, and the devgid is different.

Uncommented that line. Testing with a USB stick. The stick is detected
fine in Debian, I can check it in Virtualbox's list of USB devices and
it is 'removed' from Debian and appears in the guest OS. All works fine.
I safely removed that stick and reconnected it and the behavior repeated
in the same way. All good.

> Check that you have the correct devgid:-
> $ grep vboxusers /etc/group | sed 's/vboxusers:x:\(.*\):.*/\1/'

Yes, they are the same.

> I get occasional warnings related to USB about lack of space when
> starting a VirtualBox machine, which is fixed with:-
> # dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-4.1

Haven't tried that yet.

> Also check that you have the latest VirtualBox guest extensions installed.

I think that I do. I will check shortly.

> If all that fails - test some other USB devices before trying the
> VirtualBox forums.

(see above), a USB stick works.

I tried Tomtom again. It is shown in the USB device's list, in the guest
OS, as:
Linux 2.6.28.10 with dwc_otg_pcd Tomtom [0327]

Once I check that to use it in the guest OS, it disappears and takes all
my USB detection and stuff from Debian too.

ever having been read.