Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

> Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>  On 25/01/12 06:21, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>>  I downloaded a 770MB file titled
>>>  debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso . Burned a DVD.    Got some
>>>  surprises :<
>>>
>>>  [SNIP]
>>
>>>  there is no app for
>>>  configuring a possible connection to the internet.

There should be.  Has been on the several LiveCDs with the LXDE desktop I've tested.

>>  Launcher: In addition to text and GUI install options in the boot menu,
>>  the desktop flavors contain a launcher on the desktop that can be used
>>  to install while running the live image.
>
> But that's not relevant. I am not ready to commit to installing yet. I wish
> to verify that in can operate with my hardware. Specifically connect to internet
> via my USB Analog Modem (it's *NOT* a winmodem ;)

Modem?  As in dial up?  That requires manually setting up the network connection.  With LXDE, in the menus somewhere, there's its "control panel" for all (or most all) configurations usually with a nice wizard to help you.

> You later define a live CD as containing "... a live environment so people
> can test hardware support before installing ..."
>
> My very first test is:
> Can the "live system" *AS DELIVERED* connect to the internet?

Yes.  But not automatically, unless you have a wired Ethernet connection.  Any other configuration wireless, dial up, requires manually entering the numbers.  Might even require installing the appropriate driver, if it's not on the LiveCD.

> This distro (debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso) evidently fails.
> And evidently fails no matter how the internet is connected.

Perhaps, the iso was damaged during the download or burning.  Did you checksum it?  Both the downloaded iso and the CD after burning?  Also, did you read the instructions?  Linux isn't Windows.  And doesn't work like Windows either.  There is a learning curve.  A fairly steep one.