Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

On 25/01/12 06:21, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I downloaded a 770MB file titled
> debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso . Burned a DVD.    Got some
> surprises :<
>
> Inspite of http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#live-cd stating in part:

Consider reading all the FAQ - instead of just part.

If you're going to nit pick you will get "surprises".

> " Is a Debian "live CD" available?
>
> Yes. A so-called "live CD", or more precisely, a "live system", is a
> complete system prepared for a CD, DVD, USB key or other medium.
> _*You*_ do not need to install anything on the hard drive. Instead
> you boot from the CD or other medium and _*are able to start working
> on the machine right away*_. All programs run directly from the
> medium. "

Every word of which is true.

> Evidently "start working right away" means using an open office app.
> [a suite that is irrelevant for me]

It won't make toasted sandwiches either, or make you smarter.

> Not only is there no way to connect to internet,

Please don't troll - we don't go to your favourite Windows XP phorums
making up complaints.

> there is no app for
> configuring a possible connection to the internet.

Launcher: In addition to text and GUI install options in the boot menu,
the desktop flavors contain a launcher on the desktop that can be used
to install while running the live image.

Flavors: The live images come in "flavors", four providing the desktop
environments GNOME, KDE, LXDE and Xfce, and two text console flavors:
rescue and standard. Many users will find these initial package
selections suitable, installing any additional packages they need from
the network afterwards.

> The second unkind surprise arrived when I popped the DVD into tray of
> an operating Windows(tm) machine after inviting me to blindly
> install. It triggered my browser bringing up README.txt which said in
> part: " About This Disc ===============
>
> This disc is labeled
>
> Debian GNU/Linux squeeze-di-rc2 "Squeeze" - Official Snapshot i386
> NETINST Binary-1 20110121-20:12
>
> It contains programs ("binaries") for `i386' computers.
>
> This disc is a _*netinst image*_. ???????????????? !!!!!!!!!
> ?????????????

Make up your mind - either you're complaining that despite your refusal
to fully *read* the documentation you were short changed on features -
or your complaining that *additional* features like the installer is
also a complaint.

> "
>

> That's what Debian can do with 750MB ?

Stuffed a disk full of documentation for those willing to read as well
as a live environment so people can test hardware support before
installing *and* install additional packages using the built-in
*network* support.

> There is massive communication failure

Agreed.

> as other links internal to debian.org lead to a netinst image of
> ~150MB.

Yes. *Only* the netinst.iso.

Was there a valid question in your massive rant?

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/