Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 25/01/12 06:21, Richard Owlett wrote:
I downloaded a 770MB file titled
debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso . Burned a DVD.    Got some
surprises :<

[SNIP]

there is no app for
configuring a possible connection to the internet.

Launcher: In addition to text and GUI install options in the boot menu,
the desktop flavors contain a launcher on the desktop that can be used
to install while running the live image.

But that's not relevant. I am not ready to commit to installing yet. I wish to verify that in can operate with my hardware. Specifically connect to internet via my USB Analog Modem (it's *NOT* a winmodem ;)

You later define a live CD as containing "... a live environment so people can test hardware support before installing ..."

My very first test is:
 Can the "live system" *AS DELIVERED* connect to the internet?

This distro (debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso) evidently fails.
And evidently fails no matter how the internet is connected.