Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

On Thursday 26 January 2012 16:19:06 Richard Owlett wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > On 25/01/12 06:21, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >> I downloaded a 770MB file titled
> >> debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso . Burned a DVD.    Got some
> >> surprises :<
> >>
> >> [SNIP]
> >>
> >> there is no app for
> >> configuring a possible connection to the internet.
> >
> > Launcher: In addition to text and GUI install options in the boot menu,
> > the desktop flavors contain a launcher on the desktop that can be used
> > to install while running the live image.
>
> But that's not relevant. I am not ready to commit to
> installing yet. I wish to verify that in can operate with my
> hardware. Specifically connect to internet via my USB Analog
> Modem (it's *NOT* a winmodem ;)
>
> You later define a live CD as containing "... a live
> environment so people can test hardware support before
> installing ..."
>
> My very first test is:
>   Can the "live system" *AS DELIVERED* connect to the internet?
>
> This distro (debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso)
> evidently fails.
> And evidently fails no matter how the internet is connected.

Knoppix, the non-pareil of Lice CDs, that I have used for some 7 years now (I
try other things, but always come back to Knoppix) doesn't immediately
connect to the Internet, you have to set up networking.  Doing so is a
doddle.  I simply don't see it as a problem.  (I haven't used a Live CD
recently, and am having optical drive problems, so I may be out of date.)

Lisi